1400 Block of Confederate Avenue
Site of Confederate Soldiers Home
Shortly after Cottontown was established as a suburb, the United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC) erected a stately facility to care for aging Civil War veterans. While various chapters of the UDC helped support the institution, the State of South Carolina was its main source of financial support. After 1925, veterans’ widows over 70 years of age were allowed to enter the circa-1908 facility. That same year the home, which previously had buried deceased residents in Elmwood Cemetery, founded a veterans’ cemetery on its property. The home closed in 1957 and was subsequently demolished after falling into disrepair.