1502 Richland Street
Site of Duffie-Verner House
On this site once stood a circa-1819, two-story wood frame mansion with a raised basement. Federal in style, this structure would have been a contemporary of the Hampton-Preston Mansion, erected one year earlier. The property, once owned by bookseller and publisher W.J. Duffie, was demolished in 1972 to make way for commercial development. The current office building may have drawn its architectural inspiration from the Hampton-Preston Mansion.