1512 Blanding Street
Good Shepherd Episcopal Church
Built in 1901 by a congregation that formed in 1883 and initially met on Barnwell Street, the Church of the Good Shepherd is a Gothic Revival style sanctuary executed in a cruciform shape. The circa-1893 memorial stained glass window above the altar was moved from the original Barnwell Street church. Beneath the building’s front steps, visible from an inside trapdoor, rests the cornerstone of Christ Episcopal Church (1858-1865), which once stood one block west until its destruction during the Civil War. Post-1898 homes that bordered the church immediately to its east and west were demolished to enlarge the institution’s campus.