1520 Main Street
Capitol Places V
Revitalizing neighborhoods occasionally offers the opportunity to erect new buildings that can compliment nearby historic structures.
In 2007, Historic Columbia recognized this mixed-use structure for its sympathetic approach to new construction within the context of its historic neighbors. Several characteristics make this new building notable: mass, setback and architectural details. While slightly larger than the Kress Building to its south and the Canal Dime Savings Bank to its north, this Post-Modern structure, designed in 2006 by architects Dale Marshall (Architrave) and J. Lesesne Monteith, nonetheless is not too large, nor does it tower over surrounding buildings. Like the earlier buildings on the block, the structure has limited set-back from the street and its façade is in line with its neighbors. Lastly, the use of ached windows on the top story offers a measure of visual consistency with the arched aspects of the stone structure to its left and the format of its storefront windows and doors is consistent with historic buildings on this and other nearby blocks.