1529 Assembly Street
St. Peter’s Catholic Church
Designed by Robert Mills, the congregation’s first church was erected on this site in 1824 to accommodate Irish workers building the Columbia Canal. It was joined in 1889 by the Ursuline Convent and Academy. St. Peter’s Parochial School opened in 1919 and continues to offer elementary and secondary education. Charlotte architect Frank Milburn designed today’s Gothic style church, dedicated in 1909, as a replacement for the early 19th-century sanctuary.