1626-1628 Main Street
Architect William J. Winesett and Columbia contractor P.C. Price oversaw construction of this building in 1907 for the Lutheran Synod of South Carolina as its publication office. Although known as the Lutheran Publication Building, the building had additional tenants, including Draughon’s Business College (third floor) and the five and dime store of F.M. Kirby & Company (ground floor). Later tenants included the Carolina Casualty and Insurance Company, F.W. Woolworth’s, various doctors, dentists, music teachers and a secretarial school.
The structure housed Haverty's Furniture from 1940 until 1985. In 1948, architect Harold Saxelby totally transformed its original appearance to accommodate the needs of the company. The result was one of the earliest examples of the pleated, stucco façade that Saxelby created for the company. This exterior work and the interior treatments reflect a Streamline Moderne modernization trend that some buildings in Columbia experienced in the years before and after the Second World War. The building later housed Kimbrell's Furniture from 1985 until 2011. The structure underwent a comprehensive rehabilitation in 2013 to become part of Agape Senior, a health care provider, that today is called LTC Health Solutions. Today, the building’s façade retains one of Main Street’s last remaining vertical neon signs from the period.
- Architect: William J. Winesett (Bluefield, West Virginia); Harold Saxelby
- Architectural Style: Richardsonian Romanesque; Streamline Moderne
- Built: 1907; renovated 1940, 1948; rehabilitated 2013