1631 Main Street
Main Street’s 1600 block retains the highest concentration of structures erected in the years immediately following the Civil War. This building, erected in 1866 by local brewer and entrepreneur John C. Seegers, represents the very earliest efforts to rebuild Richardson (Main) Street after its destruction. Despite the building’s remarkable age, its appearance belies its original construction period due to early- to mid-20th century renovations made so the property would reflect then-current tastes. Some of these changes resulted in an Art Moderne façade rendered in 1937 for the building’s use as the Habenicht-McDougall Company sporting goods store. In 2013, this structure was rehabilitated again, to restore character-defining aspects of its 1937 treatment and to bring further commercial prosperity to the 1600 block of Main Street.