1720 Sumter Street
Organized in 1838 as the Sabbath School for Colored People, a separate but affiliated component of the white First Presbyterian Church, the congregation established its own church about 1877 at this site. Reverend M.G. “Mack” Johnson, who was born enslaved in Fairfield County, led the congregation from then until his death in 1921. In 1895, the church’s sanctuary was destroyed by an arsonist, although by then plans were underway to build a new structure for $8,000. Built in 1896, this Romanesque Revival was designed by architect D.G. Zeigler. In 1940, brick towers replaced the original wooden pyramidal towers and a belfry.