1800-1900 Block of Heyward Street
Key to the development of Columbia's first suburbs was the convenience of transportation to and from the city center. Connecting Hollywood-Rose Hill with downtown, the Columbia Electric Street and Suburban Railway and Electric Power Company ran a route from Harden Street down Saluda Avenue, terminating at Heyward Street. For a fare of five cents, patrons had reliable access to a variety of services from their new homes that lay just outside the city limits. In 1927, the city's streetcar service was terminated, as buses and private cars had outpaced their competitor.