1800 Senate Street
Site of the Last Home of General Wade Hampton III
In 1899, citizens of Columbia gifted Confederate General Wade Hampton III this nine-room and two-bathroom home to show their appreciation and thank him for his service to the state. Hampton served as governor of South Carolina following Reconstruction from 1876 until 1879 and U.S. Senator from 1879 until 1891. It was demolished in 1964. Spong Construction Company built Hampton House, a four-story, 32-unit apartment complex on the site for roughly $300,000. The building featured modern conveniences, such as two elevators and air conditioning, and other amenities including parqueted floors, wall-to-wall carpeting and General Electric kitchen appliances.