1801 Main Street
Site of the Hotel Jefferson
Generations of Columbians and visitors to the capital city regarded the Hotel Jefferson as a landmark destination. Built in 1912 by local contractor John Cain, the Jefferson ranked among the city's best accommodations, offering both lodging and good meals in addition to serving as a venue for special events. Despite its storied existence, this celebrated building fell to the wrecking ball in 1968 to be replaced by the Jefferson Square office building and theater.