1808 Senate Street
Completed in 1902 and designed by noted local architect George E. Lafaye while he was employed by the W. B. Smith Whaley and Company, this house is an excellent example of an early-twentieth century Colonial Revival home. Among its features are a second-story central bay window and grouped porch columns. As Americans celebrated the country's centennial anniversary, romanticized notions of America's colonial past surfaced, including within contemporary architecture. Architects looked back at elements from both the Georgian and Federal styles of architecture for inspiration to create a style that bridged the past with the present. Originally owned by Francis Weston, an attorney and state legislator, the house later passed to his daughter, Mrs. Blake Edmunds.