1992 Congaree Road
Written records suggest Grovewood Plantation’s main house was either built around 1765 and moved from a previous location or built on site as late as 1835. Architectural evidence such as nails, hardware and other building materials that were made in the property’s blacksmith shop, suggests an early nineteenth century date of construction. The residence’s living room or parlor features mantels and molding with a palmetto and shell pattern reflecting the Adam style, an architectural movement popular during the 1790s through 1810s that involved rich, intricate and delicate classical details. Grovewood’s rich interior architectural elements connoted wealth and power to all visitors, particularly in light of the house’s rural setting.