Skip to main content

Historic Columbia will be closed January 19. This includes all gardens and administrative offices.

Menu Close Menu

Historic Columbia

Buy Tickets Donate
  • FAQs
Upcoming Events

Navigation

  • Tours
    • House Tours
      • Robert Mills House and Gardens
      • Hampton-Preston Mansion and Gardens
      • Mann-Simons Site
      • The Museum of the Reconstruction Era
      • Modjeska Monteith Simkins House
    • Walking Tours
    • Garden Tours
      • Garden Database
    • African American History Tours
    • Online Tours
    • Group Tours
      • Group Bus Tours
      • Group House Museum Tours
      • Group Walking Tours
  • Education
    • Field Trips
      • House Tours
    • Traveling Trunks
  • Support
    • Corporate Support
      • Additional Support Opportunities
      • Corporate Membership
      • Program & Event Sponsorship Options
    • Donate
    • Membership
    • Palladium
    • Volunteer
    • Annual Fund
    • Partners and Donors
  • Rent a Venue
    • Gardens of the Hampton-Preston Mansion
    • Seibels House and Garden
    • Robert Mills Carriage House and Gardens
    • Gardens of the Woodrow Wilson Family Home
    • Weddings
    • Photoshoots and Elopements
    • Contact Us
  • Research
    • Abandoned Cultural Property
    • Object Collection
    • Projects and Initiatives
  • Preservation
    • Preservation Awards
    • Preservation Advocacy
    • Resources and Services
    • Economic Impact Study
    • Building Richland County
  • About
    • Blog
    • Board Members
    • Careers
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletter
    • Staff Directory

Buy Tickets

Donate

Southwest Corner of Millwood and Gervais Streets

Site of Waverly Elementary School

Road reorientation and the evolution of Millwood Avenue's commercial enterprises erased a physical link to early education in Lower Waverly. White and black students initially were educated within segregated sections of the Waverly School, established between 1901 and 1903. By 1912, blacks had their own school, known as the Waverly Graded School, which stood at 2424 Gervais Street. By 1949, this institution had moved to 1225 Oak Street, the former location of the Waverly School for white students (shown here), where it operated exclusively for African-American students until its closing in 1958.

  • Waverly Elementary School, 1920s.

    Waverly Elementary School, 1920s. From A True Likeness, The Black South of Richard Samuel Roberts: 1920-1936. (c) The Estate of Richard Samuel Roberts, by permission of Bruccoli Clark Layman, Inc. Image courtesy South Caroliniana Library, University of South Carolina, Columbia

What began as Millwood Avenue in the early 20th century became Dillon Street around 1953. The Millwood Avenue that exists today was created south of Gervais and east of old Millwood, now Dillon Street, and is contiguous to Two Notch Road, a connection created by the addition of a road between Lady and Lyon streets during the mid 1900s. This aerial map shows that Millwood Avenue had been repaved and connected to Legare Street by 1951.

34.007242177418, -81.013402832749

NTHP Preservation Award Winner
Historic Columbia

© 2026 Historic Columbia

Administrative Offices
1601 Richland Street
Columbia, SC 29201

Tours
All historic house and garden tours start at the Welcome Center at Robert Mills.
1616 Blanding Street
Columbia, SC 29201

Questions? Call (803) 252-7742.

Newsletter Signup

newsletter signup

Subscribe to our monthly newsletter for events, news, and updates from Historic Columbia!

  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Flickr
  • Privacy Policy
Website by Cyberwoven