2469 Senate Street
Site of J.P. Holley Funeral Home
Caring for the departed, undertakers historically have played a special role within Columbia’s African-American community. William S. and Catherine W. Holley established Holley and Sons Funeral Home in 1917 within the Lower Waverly neighborhood. In 1955, under the direction of John P. Holley, Sr., the company assumed its current name and continued to operate from its Senate Street building until that circa-1920 facility was destroyed by fire in 2006. Currently, the family-run enterprise serves the Columbia community from its location at 8132 Garners Ferry Road.