Southeast Corner of Cypress and King Street
On this site originally stood the home of Shandon's first resident, Captain Eugene Bowen "Boney" Chase. A conductor for 42 years on the Southern Railway, Chase had a Queen Anne style residence built on this lot for $2,200 in 1893. The house remained standing until 1969, when it was destroyed by the Columbia Fire Department during a training exercise. In 1978, one antebellum and six early 20th-century houses were relocated to the vacant lot by Rudy and Jeannette Barnes as an historic infill project. The end result was an area of dense residential use that shared common paths and landscape treatments. The properties involved in the creation of this village-like setting came from three different sources. While a few were moved only a block from the intersection of Millwood Avenue and Woodrow Street, others were relocated from several parcels significantly farther away.