2803 Canterbury Road
James B. Urquhart House
This 1951 Colonial Revival house was the home of architect James Burwell Urquhart (1876—1961), and his wife, Alice Childs Urquhart (1881—1964). Urquhart designed numerous buildings in and around the city, including the Palmetto Compress Warehouse, Richland County Court House, Manson Building and the Science Building at Benedict College. Urquhart was known especially for his school design, being the architect of dozens of schools around the state, including Columbia High School, St. Andrews High School and Booker T. Washington High School. He also designed the house at 1414 Cambridge Lane for his daughter, Alice Childs Clarke (1904—1982), and her husband, Rufus Clarke (1900—1983). The house features a projecting weatherboard entrance bay with a paneled door and transom, pedimented gable, dentil molding, pilasters and oval windows.