2859 Stratford Road
Built in 1950 for Hamilton Osborne (1916—1988), president and co-owner of Tosco Industrial Supplies, and his wife, Anna Mary Shields Osborne (b. 1917), this International style house is emblematic of the new design types that emerged over the course of postwar development in Forest Hills. The neighborhood began to incorporate modern style houses in greater numbers as the movement became more prominent throughout the United States. In contrast to the revival styles that were so common in the first phase of Forest Hills development, modern houses represented a clean break with the past. This one-story house features an asymmetrical design and a low-hipped roof. Its portico has a flat roof and is supported by a wooden corner pillar.