301 Gervais Street
Former Columbia Mills Building
When this massive mill opened in 1894, it was the first textile plant built in the United States fully powered by electricity. After the facility closed in 1981, it became one of the largest adaptive use projects in South Carolina. Today, the 280,000-square-foot property houses the State Museum, the South Carolina Confederate Relic Room and Military Museum, and state offices.