705 Maple Street
Former Schneider Elementary School (GranDevine Apartments)
In 1909, the new Shandon School consisted of a six-room brick building staffed by Principal S.M. Busby and six teachers instructing 274 students. The school grew over time to accommodate growing enrollment and was renamed in honor of another former principal, Samuel P. Schneider in 1937. This community landmark remained a school until its closing in 1974. Today, the building functions as condominiums offering upscale residential life within a repurposed historic setting.
Today, GranDevine Apartments are located within the old Schneider Elementary School building. Developers David Bryant and Ben Arnold received a Preservation Award from Historic Columbia for their adaptive reuse project in 2008.