7300 College Street
Harbison Agricultural College
When established in 1885 as Ferguson Academy, this Abbeville-based school operated as a co-educational facility. Upon relocating to Irmo in 1911, the institution became a college designed to “promote industrial, literary, moral, and religious progress of colored boys.” Situated on 500 acres and featuring five buildings by 1917, the Presbyterian school returned to co-educational instruction in 1933 during the Depression. The school closed in 1958, but its campus today serves as the Harbison branch of Midlands Technical College.