800 Gervais Street
Former South Carolina Railroad Depot
Featuring a decorative façade, this Greek Revival and Italianate style building was built about 1850 as the South Carolina Railroad Depot.
By 1860, it was one of two depots on Gervais Street, and this portion of town was sometimes called Hell's Half Acre for the growing number of bars, brothels and boarding houses that opened nearby. In 1861, the Young Ladies’ Hospital Association established a “rest station” at the railroad depot. Known as the Wayside Hospital, it provided food and drink to soldiers and aided the sick and injured in transit. By the war’s end this hospital had treated over 75,000 men.
In 1865, Union forces burned the property. Rebuilt by 1866, the structure continued to serve in its original transportation capacity for decades. Formerly the site of the bar Wet Willie's and Jillian's sports bar and restaurant, this historic structure now serves as an event venue known as Junction 800.