827-831 Gervais Street
In 1907, J.E. Young and Wholesale Fruit and Produce Company constructed this building, purportedly the first to have a cold storage unit installed. Between 1911 and 1917, many African-American companies operated here, joining other black-owned or run businesses, such as barbershops, grocery stores, and a pool hall, in the district. Throughout the building’s various uses, it housed apartments within its third story. Its exterior restored and interior rehabilitated, this landmark proves as popular with contemporary patrons as it did with others over a century ago.