830 Maple Street
Originally situated along the streetcar line, this circa-1910 Craftsman-style bungalow is representative of many Maple Street residences erected on one of the neighborhood's main thoroughfares. Initially home to plumbing contractor Edmund A. Heyward, the property was later owned by John B. Allen, whose family established Allen Brothers Milling Company, manufacturer of Adluh Flour. Recently, this house returned to private ownership after having been among a handful of parcels owned by Epworth Children's Home to the east.
Former resident Dorothy "Dot" Allen Edgerton remembers her home once featuring a detached building, some distance from the house occupied by a domestic worker who moved with the family from North Carolina to Columbia. It once stood in the northeast corner of the property, was oriented to the east and carried the address of 830 1/2 Maple Street. The property also included an auto garage, an amenity that had become common among many of the suburb's residences.