900 Calhoun Street
Saint Timothy's Episcopal Church
Alexander R. Mitchell, rector of the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd, established St. Timothy's as a mission in 1892 to provide a Sunday school for children in the Arsenal Hill neighborhood. A small cruciform, wood frame chapel was erected within this block in 1895, but it was destroyed by fire in 1912. Work began on the current Gothic-style structure in 1913 on land that the church acquired for expansion, with services held for the first time within the new sanctuary in February of the following year. Due to its proximity to the Governor's Mansion, the church often has been called the "church of the governors."