902 Gervais Street
Former Seaboard Freight Depot
The Seaboard Airline Railroad fought to have this depot built in 1903 rather than use the Southern Railroad's depot on South Main Street. Designed by architect Charles C. Wilson and built by J.D. Elliott of Hickory, N.C. for $11,400, this building embodies the Richardsonian Romanesque style of architecture, whose defining characteristics include arches and a gabled roof that reveal the eclecticism popular in the early 20th century. Rehabilitated, this property complements other purpose-built structures formerly associated with the district’s railways that defined this area of Columbia for generations.