928 Pine Street
According to city directories, this corner residence was built by 1903 and featured a dependency. A smaller support building once common to many houses in earlier centuries, dependencies typically functioned as kitchen houses built separately from the main house due to the threat of fire. With the introduction of electricity, dependencies were put to other uses, such as offices and supplemental housing. The property’s first owner was Chamal H. Stokes, a white carpenter with Southern Railway, and therefore its dependency might have been a workshop.
The Sanborn Fire Insurance Map of 1919 illustrates the original configuration of 928 Pine Street (listed as 930 Pine Street) in relation to other structures. To its east lies 2204 Pendleton Street, a store run by grocers Motley & Eller, with Eller and his, wife Mary, residing in the house. By 1920 B.M. Motley and his wife, Maggie, are listed as the house’s occupants. It appears that by that time the grocer partnership had dissolved, the Motleys had assumed residence of the property.