Rembert C. Dennis Building
1000 Assembly Street
Designed by Hopkins, Baker & Gill
Renovated 1978 by Lyles, Bissett, Carlisle & Wolff
Built in 1952 for the South Carolina Department of Highways and Transportation in the sleek International Style, this structure reflected the modernity and efficiency of the state’s new highway system. Lyles, Bissett, Carlisle & Wolff renovated the building in 1978, giving it a Brutalist facelift to match the new construction in the Capitol Complex south of the State House. The state renamed it after Rembert C. Dennis, who served in the South Carolina General Assembly from 1939 to 1988.