Planted March 17, 1932
Replaced with current Sawtooth Oak 1988
Dedicated September 5, 1947
A number of trees have been planted on the State House grounds in memory of individuals or groups of people, though few memorial trees or their markers remain on the grounds today. The South Carolina chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution planned a "tribute grove," which included two seedlings dedicated to George Washington from the Cambridge, Massachusetts, elm under which he supposedly took command of the Continental army in 1775. When the second elm was dedicated in 1947, at the very beginning of the Cold War, the dedicatory address praised the tree a symbolic "bulwark against the insidious attacks of foreign ideologies."