Historic Civil Rights site is praised, then razed | The State Newspaper Features Recently Demolished Historic Site
On Saturday, July 21, 2012 a historic marker was placed at the Waverly Five and Dime store located at 2313 Gervais Street. Less than a week later the building was demolished by the First Nazareth Baptist Church, the current owners of the property. The State newspaper featured the following story...
Senate Passes Tax Reform Bill with a 20% Historic Tax Credit, HTC Eliminated in House, Urgent Action Needed: Advocate for a 20% HTC in Final House/Senate Reconciled Bill
The house at 2027 Taylor Street was once the residence of Matilda Arabella Evans, the first female African-American physician in Columbia. Built sometime between 1910 and 1919, the vernacular house went through a myriad of early owners, most of whom were employees of the nearby Southern Railroad Company, before the Evans family occupied the residence. In 1928, the Evans family moved from their home on Two Notch Road to this location and descendants owned or occupied the home until 2005.