Intersection of Millwood Avenue and Devine StreetCorner of Millwood and Devine
Site of Heathwood Common School
Heathwood Common School once stood at the intersection of Garners Ferry Road (Millwood Avenue) and Devine Street. The two-story brick building, completed in 1912, boasted four rooms on each floor and a second-floor auditorium. As a part of the county school system, Heathwood educated first- through seventh-grade students. The facility was annexed into the Columbia City Schools system in the 1920s. In 1927, the school became a junior high, the second in Columbia after Wardlaw Junior High on Elmwood Avenue. The following decade Heathwood Junior High was incorporated into Hand Junior High in Shandon Annex. In 1945, the Shandon United Methodist Church congregation used the structure for its church services while erecting a new facility on Devine Street, which it completed in 1950. Afterward, this landmark school building was demolished to make way for new development at this intersection.