2608 Cypress Street2608 Cypress Street
Former French Consulate
First located at 1924 Main Street, as seen here in C. Drie's 1872 Birdseye Map of Columbia, this cottage was once the French Consulate to the Confederacy. According to eyewitnesses, the building, under a French flag, was the only structure on Main Street spared during the Burning of Columbia in February 1865. Sixty years later, the house was given to Frederick G. Swaffield, Jr., who moved it to 1301 Barnwell Street. When the city rezoned that area for commercial use, the house was moved to this site in 1977 and rehabilitated.