1329 Blanding Street1329 Blanding Street
Businessman George Louis Dial, whose Tozer Engine Works produced steam engines in the Congaree Vista, had this sprawling house constructed in 1886. Later owners included J.A. Willis and N. Barnwell Heyward, who maintained his doctor’s office within an addition to its Marion Street elevation. Originally, the site was home to Massachusetts native Abraham Blanding. An educator, lawyer, and politician, Blanding is perhaps best remembered for his role in establishing Columbia’s first waterworks in 1820.