State House Monuments Tour
Since Columbia’s 1786 founding, the grounds of the South Carolina State House have grown from a 4-acre site bounded by Richardson (Main), Gervais, Assembly, and Senate streets into a 22-acre complex featuring 7 buildings and more than 30 monuments. South Carolinians have constructed, altered, and reconsidered this space for more than 230 years—and continue to do so today. Over the last year, architectural historian Lydia Mattice Brandt, Ph.D. has undertaken a comprehensive survey of this built landscape. Her research serves as the basis for our new web-based tour, available below.