Liberty Bell Replica1101 Pendleton Street
Arrived in Columbia June 4, 1950
Northeast side of State House
Installed July 4, 1950
Bell designed by American Smelting and Refining Company, Miami Copper Company, Phelps Dodge Corporation, The American Metal Company Ltd., Kennecott Copper Corporation, Anaconda Copper Mining Company
Installation built by Robert Sumwalt
Installation designed by Carroll Johnson
In 1950, the U.S. Treasury Department distributed full-scale replicas of the Liberty Bell (the famous crack is painted) to the country’s forty-eight states as part of its marketing campaign for Independence Savings Bonds. Postwar Americans revived the bell – and its home at Independence Hall in Philadelphia – as symbols of American freedom as Communism spread internationally. The bells toured each state in specially designed Ford trucks and continue to be displayed on the grounds of thirty-one state capitals, including South Carolina's.