McKissick Museum900 Sumter Street
University of South Carolina Horseshoe
The structure that currently houses McKissick Museum is the only twentieth-century building standing on the Horseshoe. Built in 1940 with funds from the New Deal's Works Progress Administration, it functioned as McKissick Library, the university's main library until the construction of Thomas Cooper Library in 1959. In 1984, the Roosevelt-era facility was rededicated as McKissick Museum, which today houses a nationally recognized southern folk life collection.