Site of Original President's House900 Sumter Street
University of South Carolina Horseshoe
Located at the head of the Horseshoe, the first President's House was designed by Yates and Phillips and built in 1807. From 1807 until 1922, every one of the college, and later university, presidents resided in this two-and-one-half story, stuccoed masonry building. After 1922, this building was placed to new uses, containing several different campus administrative offices including the graduate and alumni offices and the registrar's office. By the 1930s, the building was deemed unsafe and remained vacant. With plans underway for the new university library building (McKissick Museum) to be erected directly behind the early-twentieth century residence, the President's House was demolished in 1939.